MPs on Wednesday voted 155 to 102 at second reading against British Columbia MP Alex Atamanenko’s private member’s bill, C-571, which sought amendments to the federal Meat Inspection Act and Safe Food for Canadians Act.
C-571 called for a ban on shipping horses, either by import from other countries or in between provinces, for slaughter for human consumption or for production of meat products for human consumption.
The bill would have made an exception for any horse raised “primarily for human consumption and… accompanied by a medical record that contains its standardized description and a complete lifetime record, in chronological order, of the medical treatments it has received.”
The bill also would have prohibited anyone from delivering horses or other equines to registered slaughter plants without such a medical record in hand.
“The question that needs to be answered is: Without the enactment of Bill C-571, is it possible to guarantee a safe horsemeat product, if it is produced from horses that were not raised or regulated within an agricultural industry and were never intended to enter the human food chain until the day of being purchased by a kill buyer under contract to a Canadian horse processor?” Atamanenko said March 31 when speaking to his bill in the Commons.
C-571, introduced in the Commons in late January, was a reboot of Atamanenko’s C-544, which he unsuccessfully brought to the Commons in 2010. [Related story]
“I had hoped to follow an example set by the (European Union) to have the same food safety standards, transparency and accountability applied to the horsemeat industry as is required of all animals that are raised to produce food for the human food chain,” Atamanenko, a former NDP agriculture critic, said in a release Thursday.
Horses, he said in his release, are commonly administered medications labelled toxic and not intended for use in food animals because no safe limits or withdrawal periods have been established.
In his speech March 31, he cited phenylbutazone, or “bute,” which he said is “banned for use in any animal intended for human consumption because it causes serious and lethal idiosyncratic adverse effects in humans.”
Unlike other meat sectors, he said, the horse slaughter industry “mainly exists to dispose of the industrial byproduct from the equine sporting industry where abuse and overuse of drugs is rampant.”
In 2013, he said, 71,961 horses — over half of which were imported from the U.S. — were slaughtered in Canada. Of the resulting meat, 85 per cent was exported to the EU and the remaining 15 per cent sold domestically, he added.
Given that the U.S. “has no program in place to monitor the drugs given to horses and has no intention of creating one, the U.S. cannot export its horse meat directly to Europe,” he noted. — AGCanada.com Network
The Essence of Liberty Volume I: Liberty and History chronicles the rise and fall of the noble experiment with constitutionally limited government. It features the ideas and opinions of some of the world’s foremost contemporary constitutional scholars. This is history that you were not taught at the mandatory government propaganda camps otherwise known as “public schools.” You will gain a clear understanding of how America’s decline and decay is really nothing new and how it began almost immediately with the constitution. Available in both paperback and Kindle versions.
The Essence of Liberty Volume II: The Economics of Liberty will introduce the reader to the fundamental principles of the Austrian School of Economics. The Austrian School traces its origins back to the Scholastics of Medieval Spain. But its lineage actually began with Carl Menger and continued on through Adam Smith, Ludwig von Mises, Murray Rothbard and many others. It is the one and only true private property based, free market line of economic thought. Available in both paperback and Kindle versions.
The Essence of Liberty Volume III: Liberty: A Universal Political Ethic. This is the volume that pulls it all together. With reference to Hans-Hermann Hoppe’s description of Murray Rothbard’s work, it is a “unique contribution to the rediscovery of property and property rights as the common foundation of both economics and political philosophy, and the systematic reconstruction and conceptual integration of modern, marginalist economics and natural-law political philosophy into a unified moral science: libertarianism.” Available in both paperback and Kindle versions.