I can’t believe that the mouth breathers that start nonsense like this think we are totally stupid.
Water is not “used” in the sense of being created or destroyed. There is a fixed amount of water in the hydrologic cycle. 97% of the water on earth is in the oceans. The other 3% is distributed between ground water, water in rivers, lakes and streams, and water in living organisms.
So the “problem” is one of quality, not quantity. The free market would easily take care of that problem (through its price rationing mechanism) if it were allowed to do so. The real problem is that water has been too cheap for too long thanks to government price controls. — jtl, 419
In a new video, sustainability researcher Jude Capper debunks the myth that it takes 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of hamburger.
Although the Meatless Monday trend appears to be waning a bit, the misconception that eating a burger is bad for the planet must be addressed. And it’s particularly pertinent these days in light of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee’s recommendation last week to avoid red meat for sustainability reasons.
According to a checkoff-funded website, Facts About Beef, “It takes 441 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of boneless beef. Farmers and ranchers are committed to water conservation and have reduced the amount of water used to raise beef by 12% compared to 30 years ago.”
The video features Jude Capper, a sustainability researcher, who debunks the myth that it takes a whopping 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef. While that figure may have been accurate 40 years ago, with today’s sustainable and efficient beef production system, it truly only takes 441 gallons of water to produce that pound of burger.
More than that, Capper says the most sustainable beef choice is corn-finished beef, which is good news for ranchers raising conventional beef. This information might be confusing for consumers led to believe that natural, grass-fed and organic are the best choices for their health and the health of the planet. However, the efficiencies of corn-fed beef are indisputable.
Watch the following video and let me know what you think in the comments section below. Be sure to share today’s blog on your social media outlets, as well. To view other Meat MythCrusher videos, click here.
The opinions of Amanda Radke are not necessarily those of Beefmagazine.com or the Penton Farm Progress Group.
Murray N. Rothbard was the father of what some call Radical Libertarianism or Anarcho-Capitalism which Hans-Hermann Hoppe described as “Rothbard’s unique contribution to the rediscovery of property and property rights as the common foundation of both economics and political philosophy, and the systematic reconstruction and conceptual integration of modern, marginalist economics and natural-law political philosophy into a unified moral science: libertarianism.”
This book applies the principles of this “unified moral science” to environmental and natural resource management issues.
The book started out life as an assigned reading list for a university level course entitled Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: The Austrian View.
As I began to prepare to teach the course, I quickly saw that there was a plethora of textbooks suitable for universal level courses dealing with environmental and natural resource economics. The only problem was that they were all based in mainstream neo-classical (or Keynesian) theory. I could find no single collection of material comprising a comprehensive treatment of environmental and natural resource economics based on Austrian Economic Theory.
However, I was able to find a large number of essays, monographs, papers delivered at professional meetings and published from a multitude of sources. This book is the result. It is composed of a collection of research reports and essays by reputable scientists, economists, and legal experts as well as private property and free market activists.
The book is organized into seven parts: I. Environmentalism: The New State Religion; II. The New State Religion Debunked; III. Introduction to Environmental and Natural Resource Economics; IV. Interventionism: Law and Regulation; V. Pollution and Recycling; VI. Property Rights: Planning, Zoning and Eminent Domain; and VII. Free Market Conservation. It also includes an elaborate Bibliography, References and Recommended Reading section including an extensive Annotated Bibliography of related and works on the subject.
The intellectual level of the individual works ranges from quite scholarly to informed editorial opinion.